The main responsibility of the IT System Administrator is advanced server and application administration, design, key project deliverables and leadership in our mission critical datacenters.
Back to Career Opportunities
What would I be doing in this role at Desire2Learn?
The main responsibility of the IT System Administrator is advanced server and application administration, design, key project deliverables and leadership in our mission critical datacenters. The role will be part of a team of highly experienced IT professionals responsible for supporting Desire2Learn's internal infrastructure.
What would my main duties be?
- Windows/Linux Server system management, design, and improvement projects/tasks in a mission critical change controlled environment:
- Daily event log and performance monitoring reviews and proactive operational tasks
- Use of Microsoft Systems Center Operations Manager, NagIOS or other similar tools for day to day management and monitoring tasks
- Active Directory/LDAP management, patching &system updates, application configuration/management, and change control
- Relentless improvement through ongoing performance and tuning analysis of all environments
- Use of GPOs and Automation methodologies or tools to enforce corporate policies and standards or drive facility efficiency and service automation
- Configuration, management, and support of the following:
- VMWare VSphere 4.X, Labmanager, View Premiere
- IIS 6.X or higher
- Terminal Services
- Microsoft Windows & SQL 2003/2008 Clusters
- SharePoint, Exchange, and other related MSFT products
- Configuration and management of centralized Antivirus, AntiSpyWare, and SPAM filters
- Response to internal production environment issues or requests escalated from Support or other internal teams as part of a rotating team of on-call resources.
- Management and support of the D2LHQ/QA/Development and other internal domains
- Involvement as a key senior resource on cross functional/company-wide strategic projects as well as designing and driving product or systems enhancements
- Detailed involvement in the development/planning/execution of new IT policies, procedures, and supporting processes
- Internal consulting with Product Development and Professional Services divisions on key strategic and product focused projects
- Reasonable On-call rotation is a requirement of this role
What is Desire2Learn looking for from me?
- 5+ years of Windows Server management experience in an environment of 100+ Windows 2000/2003 servers and 300 - 600 users or more.
- 3+ years of experience in a mission critical environment with change control procedures
- 2+ years experience using ticket management systems such as (but not limited to) Remedy, or HEAT utilizing basic ITIL processes
- 3+ years experience managing Active Directory objects using GPO
- 3+ years experience managing Microsoft Server 2X Clusters
- 2+ years Microsoft DNS management
- 2+ years Multi-domain or complex AD environment management experience required
- 3+ years in-depth knowledge and experience using IIS 5/6.X
- 3+ years Mission critical service management experience required
- Technical diploma/degree in a related field required
- HP/EMC Storage training or certification an Asset
- Current Microsoft Certification recommended (MCSA/MCSE)
Division/Department: Information Technology
Type of Position: Full-time
Location: Kitchener, Canada
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest. To make the best use of your time and ours, only those applicants whose profiles closely match our requirements will be contacted directly.