Be the Product Champion! Instil a sense of excitement about our products within the organization, and the e-Learning community as a whole.
Back to Career Opportunities
What would I be doing in this role at Desire2Learn?
Desire2Learn creates industry-leading web-based enterprise e-Learning systems as well as direct-to-consumer web and mobile apps. Our applications deliver material to millions of users worldwide every day.
Whether you are an experienced technical product manager or a recent product designer looking to take on more responsibility for a product, we are looking for superstars to help create and improve our suite of advanced communication and collaboration tools for e-Learning.
You possess strong software design skills and have a love for technology and its application towards solving market problems. You have the ability to see and execute on the 'Big Picture' view. You can communicate to techies and non-techies alike. You are constantly learning and looking for ways to innovate. You are a key part of the product team, actively participating in day to day project activities.
As you grow in this role, you continue to keep up-to-date and innovate with the latest in web, mobile and software technologies. You take pride not just getting things done, but getting them done well.
What would my main duties be?
Product definition and road-mapping:
- Collect and present product improvement opportunities to Product Planning
- Solicit customer, prospect and partner input (via client calls, user groups, site visits, tradeshows, surveys, win/loss analyses, etc.) to understand market challenges and requirements
- Evaluate trends across product areas to ensure overall roadmap converges on a vision for the product family as a whole
- Assess new technologies and determine how to utilize them to improve product lines
- Represent the product team at executive steering meetings
- Work with Product Planners and Engineering Director on estimation and capacity planning to develop achievable release baselines
Product Development and Implementation:
- Act as the 'Product Owner' in the Agile process
- Manage product design to ensure alignment with business objectives
- Monitor and prioritize product implementation projects and issues
- Assist in definition and execution of product performance metrics including: retention, client satisfaction, quality, performance
- Interact with technology partners and standards organizations
- Create and train others on product release collateral
- Work in partnership with the Development Manager to mentor and direct work for more junior team members
- Drive an innovative design culture within product teams
- Ensure accountability for User Experience guidelines
- Work with Engineering Director to determine product sustainability and investment plan in addition to new development
- Perform and record product presentations for analysts, prospects, clients and staff
- Assist in RFPs and participate in key prospect meetings
What is Desire2Learn looking for from me?
- Experience in a technical product management or related role
- Proven ability to deliver successful, market-driven products in an efficient and profitable manner
- Strong focus on user centered design
- Well versed in Project Management methodologies
- Solid understanding of software engineering and web and/or mobile development
- Excellent business analysis skills and the ability to extract requirements via interfacing with the customer through effective oral and written communications
- Knowledge of the education industry an asset
- Bachelor's degree is required, preferably with emphasis on Business or Computer Science
- MBA is an asset
Division/Department: Product Development
Type of Position: Full-time
Location: Kitchener, Canada
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest. To make the best use of your time and ours, only those applicants whose profiles closely match our requirements will be contacted directly.